Helping Women Now is a virtual support service designed to assist women and gender-diverse individuals anywhere in Canada to get the help they need—right now.
Powered by Dress for Success Canada Foundation, Helping Women Now has a mission to ensure women and gender-diverse individuals thrive personally and professionally. We provide support for women and gender-diverse individuals who face barriers in finding employment or accessing resources in their communities and empower and uplift those who have been marginalized to achieve their career and personal aspirations.
We talked about new career options for me. The Career Consultant suggested I make a chart about each job’s details and gave me time to think about my future. I really appreciate her help in my career transition.
Helping Women Now provides an opportunity for women and gender-diverse individuals across Canada to virtually connect with a supportive volunteer. Services are free of charge and can be used as as often and as long as needed.
There are two types of support offered:
Resource Support offers you a chance to work with a virtual volunteer to research available resources and create an action plan based on your questions or concerns. You can book an appointment that is either tailored to navigating Community Resources or Government Resources depending on your needs. Resource Support Specialists are provided with tools and training to help you navigate local resources in a supportive one-on-one virtual environment.
- Community Resource Appointments allow you to work alongside a Specialist to navigate local resources based on the topics you want to address. These topics can include, but are not limited to:
- Housing and food insecurity
- Financial guidance
- Mental health supports
- Government Resource Appointments provide you the opportunity to navigate and research what government programs and benefits are available and applicable to your current situation alongside a supportive virtual volunteer. This can include, but are not limited to:
- Employment Insurance
- Finding benefits on the Government of Canada’s website
- Navigating the CRA website
- Provincial benefits
Career & Employment Support offers you virtual assistance through Resume & Cover Letter Review sessions or Practice Interview sessions depending on where you are in the job search process. Career Support Specialists are individuals who have previous professional experience in the sectors of Human Resources or Hiring and Recruitment. These volunteers will use their experience and professional background to help you create and polish your resume and practice your interview skills to set you up for success.
- Resume & Cover Letter Review Sessions provide you with the opportunity to prepare for the application process by helping you build and edit your resume and cover letter in a supportive virtual environment.
- Practice Interview Sessions allow you to practice your interview skills by simulating an interview with your virtual Specialist whilst getting tips and feedback.